Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Can the planet be saved?

The lecture Tuesday had several aspects that were strong and many that were not. Some of those videos that she showed us were insightful. The videos also showed interesting people that were doing there part to help the environment. This part of the lecture was inspirational. the rest of her presentation however was random and unorganized. She really discussed a lot of things, not just environmental stuff. She talked so much about how her career how it is so different than her college major that it could have been a career planning seminar. Some parts of her presentation inspired me to help out the environment, but she did not really give any practical ways for me to do that. I was a little disappointed that she did not give us practical ways to help out the environment, because those little things seem like the best way I can help out the environment at this stage in my life as a college student. Her presentation would have been better if she had focused on just a few points instead of being all over the place.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you wrote. The only part I liked about her presentation was the viewing of the videos, since it gave us a more personal and informed perspective of how bad our environment is in the local area. As for the rest of the presentation, like you said, she talked about her self way too much and did not offer any solutions, no matter how small, that we could do in order to help the environment. I was disappointed with the way she approached the topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that Sethi should have provided us with some practical ways to help the environment. Instead, she stated that the environment cannot be saved in a laundry list of ten easy steps and dismissed solutions completely in her speech. By at least giving us some concrete ideas as to where to start, the purpose of her speech would have been better achieved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It seems we all have a general consensus on how we felt about the presentation. I think it's interesting to look at her theory that the environment cannot be saved with a laundry list. This is true, simply because the task at hand is much more complex. However, within that laundry list are key pointers on how we could actively reverse the situation. Whether or not this completely solves the problem is a different story. However, she dismissed the little life adjustments that could actually be helpful.

    ReplyDelete